Electric fireplaces are the fastest growing category in the fireplace market. They can be built-in, wall mounted, inserted into an existing fireplace, or added to any room when purchased with a mantel or as a free standing stove.
Linear & Wall Mount
Mantels & Media Centers
- Lower purchase price than other options
- No heat option allows for operation during warm weather
- No venting required, providing the greatest flexibility when choosing a location
- Typically no clearances to combustibles required, allowing them to be installed in wood cabinets, on carpet, etc.
- Easier to install
- Only heats a small room. Typical unit is 110v and therefore limited to 1500 watts or not more than 5,000 btu’s. (Some hard-wired models do accept 220V and deliver about 8,000 btu’s.)
- Without a dedicated circuit, running the heater can trip your electric breaker.
- Electric fireplaces are less realistic than other fireplaces . The flame effect of an electric fireplace is achieved by the artful use of images, lights, and mirrors.
Electric Inserts – Converting your wood fireplace
An electric insert can be installed inside an existing wood fireplace. For a finished look, simply choose an appropriate sized electric fireplace box, add an outlet inside your wood fireplace, and make a custom back panel to cover the fireplace opening.